Shapespark has been updated to version
2017-07-13 - Shapespark 1.3.0
- Progressive loader. Allows to start interacting with the
scene before all resources are loaded to improve the
experience for users with slow internet connection.
- Automatic detection of objects with identical
geometry. The detection works no matter if the objects are
instances in the 3D modeling program. Reduces download size,
especially for scenes with many repeating objects, like
- Better lightmap packing. Empty spaces in the lightmap UV
islands are now filled with other UV islands, which reduces
lightmaps count and sizes.
- Improved lightmap encoding. Fixes banding artifacts
that were visible in some dark areas.
- Improved automatic scene migrations. If a Shapespark
application update introduces scene format changes that
require migration of scenes on the user computer, the
migration progress is now shown in the main Shapespark
window. The user can start working with a scene immediately
after the scene is migrated, even if other scenes are still
being migrated. Shapespark can be safely closed while the
migrations are running.
- New Double sided setting in the editor Materials
tab. If enabled, both sides of the objects covered with the
material are rendered and visible. The setting is useful for
small objects, such as leaves, that are modeled as flat 2D
surfaces but should be visible from both sides.
- Fix uploading of scenes for which the sky texture was
added in an HDR format.
- Do not show the VR button on iOS devices if a scene is
opened in an iframe. iOS doesn't allow accelerometer events,
that are required for VR to work, to be delivered to an
- Use the KTX container for all compressed texture formats,
drop the use of the DDS container.
2017-05-23 - Shapespark 1.2.4
- Menu and help are now hidden in the VR mode on iOS, so they
do not interfere with the stereoscopic image.
- Switch to one common lightmap format for all the
browsers. There is no longer a format specific to iOS browsers
and Internet Explorer. Reduces the size of the scene on disk
and the upload time.
2017-05-05 - Shapespark 1.2.3
- Fixed PVRTC texture generation causing mipmapped textures to
be rendered black on some iOS devices.
2017-04-28 - Shapespark 1.2.2
- Generate compressed version of textures for iOS (PVRTC) and
Android (ETC1) devices. Such textures reduce the amount of
memory used by the scene and allow larger scenes to run on
section to the help.
2017-04-04 - Shapespark 1.2.1
- Fixed baking failures for empty meshes.
2017-03-30 - Shapespark 1.2.0
- Refreshed the viewer UI.
- Two help modes in the viewer: basic with the most
important controls, and advanced with all the supported
- Basic support for VR controllers and gamepads. A controller
button can be used to immediately activate the VR
- Fixed installation and scene export problems for users
that have non-ASCII characters in Windows usernames.
- Changed geometry index buffer to take into account
lightmap UVs. The index buffer is now used also for rendering
which reduces geometry size in the GPU memory by about 50%.
- Improved sorting of transparent objects, reduces the
number of cases when transparent materials are incorrectly
mixed together because objects are rendered in a wrong
- Added an OpenGraph meta tag to the viewer to show the
scene opening cover when the scene is shared
on sites that support OpenGraph (Facebook, Twitter, Reddit,
- A clearer error message when the scene upload fails due
to internet connection problems.
2017-03-02 - Shapespark 1.1.2
- Improved the Shapespark
Help, in particular added a
- Detect potentially too large scene scale and issue a warning.
- Inform about lightmap baking for a scene without a lightmap
opened in the editor.
2017-02-16 - Shapespark 1.1.1
Cinema 4D import via the COLLADA format.
- Use simple headlight lighting for unbaked scenes also
in the view mode (it was already used for unbaked scenes in the
- Further scene geometry storage reduction leading to shorter download
times and smaller GPU memory consumption.
- Fixed materials with mirror-like reflections being rendered black
on some mobile devices.
2017-02-01 - Shapespark 1.1.0
- Newer and prettier bundled
- Scene geometry storage reduced by 10-15% leading to
shorter download times and smaller GPU memory consumption.
- Improved support for baking on CUDA devices.
- Various optimizations improving frame-rate for complex scenes
on slower devices.
- Fixed reflections for scenes starting in the Top
or Orbit view with ceiling or some other large objects
2017-01-23 - Shapespark 1.0.38
- Added gaze-based teleport in the VR mode. Looking at a fixed
point for a few seconds teleports the viewer to this point.
- Orbit and top views no longer show the sky texture.
- Improved merging vertices for the purpose of lightmap UVs
generation. It fixes lighting artifacts for models in which
there are duplicated vertices, but the normals of the duplicates
differ very slightly.
2017-01-12 - Shapespark 1.0.37
- Disabled auto-smoothing for objects imported without vertex
- Fixed editor selection precision issues ocurring
on some computers. Previously, on such computers clicking on a
small object or material might have selected incorrect
- Fixed light probe bounding box being rendered black in the
editor on some computers.
2017-01-05 - Shapespark 1.0.36
- Improved automatic light probe bounding box size detection
to reduce the number of cases when the box size needs to be manually
- Made FBX the main import format for 3ds Max and documented
the new import
- Restricted editor number input fields to ensure the value
is from the correct range.
For example: a value higher than 1.0 entered for material
Opacity is automatically clamped to 1.0.
- Fixed a bug with not detecting mouse button release outside of
of the viewer that affected Google Chrome users. When the mouse was
released outside of the viewer and then the pointer re-entered the
viewer, the mouse was incorrectly treated as pressed.
- Removed the box collider setting from the editor's
- Marked CUDA support as experimental.
2016-12-29 - Shapespark 1.0.35
- Faster scene upload.
- Faster web textures generation during the scene import and
- Place the camera in the scene center when an opened scene has
- Make the scene center the intial orbit point for orbit-type
- Fixed a light probe initialization bug that caused
rendering artifacts when a light probe was added from the
- Do not import cameras for .fbx, .dae and .obj sources.
2016-12-21 - Shapespark 1.0.34
2016-12-07 - Shapespark 1.0.33
- A form for reporting problems and asking support questions
from the main Shapespark window.
- Do not show switch to full screen menu item if the viewer
is launched from an iframe without the 'allowfullscreen'
- Fixed the viewer resizing problems on Safari mobile when a
device is rotated.
2016-12-02 - Shapespark 1.0.32
- During scene import always convert textures with embedded ICC
profile to sRGB color space. Improves color accuracy for browsers
without proper ICC profiles support.
- Added 'Uploaded scenes' link to the main Shapespark window.
2016-11-22 - Shapespark 1.0.31
Shapespark leaves closed beta.